Beaver Tails master index

 previous  next click on arrows to navigate page by page.

c/n 288
No image yet.

c/n 288




Note: Left paint shop on 26-May-1952.

51-16508 US Air Force #1102. L-20A No:103. Command AF-1. Delivered 18-Jun-1952

N3382 T. R. Wills or T. M. Parker. Other details unknown. (Registered as a DHC-3 Circa 1975-1978).

Fate unknown

USAF History

51-16508 was made available on 06-May-1952 and accepted on the same day by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was assigned to the Tactical Air Command. It was delivered to Biggs AFB, El Paso, TX on 18-Jun-1952 and joined the 1st Liaison Squadron remaining until 22-Jul when it moved to 3rd Liaison Squadron at George AFB, Victorville, CA. It was then reassigned to the Air Material Command and went to the Sacramento Air Material Area, at McLellan AFB, CA on 06-Jan-1953 and on to Burbank, San Francisco, CA on 22-Jan-1953 prior to embarkation to Japan and being assigned to the Far East Air Force.

Arriving in Japan on 29-Jan-1953 it was initially at the 6408th Maintenance and Supply unit at Kisarazu before joining the 3rd Liaison Squadron at Komaki on 31-Mar-1953. A section of this Unit had moved to Itazuke and the aircraft went there on 16-Apr-1953 and it stayed for some eighteen months until 09-Sep-1954. It was then passed to Showa and the 6400th Air Depot for maintenance retuning to the 3rd Liaison Squadron on 14-Dec-1953 for a further three months until 15-Mar-1954. It remained at Itazuke but joined the 8th Fighter Wing until 01-Oct 1957.

Emblem of the 8th Fighter Wing

In Oct 1957 the Far East Air Force was re designated Pacific Air Force and a re-organisation of units saw the aircraft being passed to the 6143rd Air Base Group where it remained until 27-Feb-1958. A move to Misawa happened to be its last move, initially with the 6139th Air Base Wing from 27-Feb-1958 and then the 21st Tactical Fighter Wing between 01-Aug-1959 and 06-Feb-1960 before returning to the 6139th Air Base Wing. The aircraft was then authorised for “reclamation” or in other words parted out but the reason for this is unknown.