VH-AAY at Parafield - YPPF.
Photo: Unknown photographer © 03 September 1983 - Danny Tanner Collection - AustAirData
VH-AAY with Superspread Celebrating 30 years sticker.
Photo: Unknown photographer © - Aird Archives
VH-AAY at Bankstown, a well worn Beaver !
Photo: Peter Keating © 22 February 1981 - Kenneth I. Swartz Collection
VH-AAY at Cootamundra, NSW.
Photo: Unknown photographer © 16 November 1971 - John Rodger Collection - Aird Archives
VH-AAY at Bankstown, N.S.W.
Photo: Unknown photographer ©13 March 1971 - David Carter Collection - AustAirData
Photo: Unknown photographer © 21 June 1970 - Michael J. Ody Collection
VH-AAY with stable mate VH-IDC at Cambridge airport, Tasmania.
Photo: Warwick Bigsworth Collection © c.1966 - Aird Archives
VH-AAY at Cambridge airport, Tasmania.
Photo: John Roger © 15 March 1966 - Aird Archives
VH-AAY while working in Tasmania.
Photos: Peter Reardon © 1965 and 1966


FAD-1504 • HI-23


FAD-1504 Dominican Republic Air Force Operated by Cuerpo de Aviacion Militar Dominicana. Delivered 25-Oct-1951 and operated until sold in 1957. Based San Isidro.

HI-23 Cia Dominicade Aviacion, Ciudad Trujillo, Dominica. Regd Feb-1957.

VH-AAY Aerial Agriculture, Bankstown, NSW. Regd 26-Jun-1961. Withdrawn from Service 03-Feb-1975. Regd 07-Jan-1977. Canx 13-Dec-1982.

VH-AAY Aviation Industries Pty., Bankstown, NSW. Trading as Aerial Agriculture. Regd 29-Jun-1983.

VH-AAY Tymlore Pty., Walcha, NSW. Trading as Aerial Agriculture. Regd 17-Sep-1984..

Accident: Walcha, New South Wales 22-Dec-1986. Reported as crashed with Pilot G Phillips. Receiving fatal injuries and aircraft destroyed. The. ATSB report quotes as follows: - Superphosphate spreading was being carried out, with the aircraft uplifting one tonne loads about every 6 minutes. Fuel endurance with both tanks full was approximately 2 hours. The pilot was conducting his 25th takeoff for the day, about one hour after refuelling. Witnesses observed that the aircraft did not become airborne at the usual point, two-thirds of the way along the 675 metre strip. Lift-off finally occurred at the end of the strip, but almost immediately afterwards the aircraft clipped a fence. It was seen to sink slightly, before climbing at a steeper than normal angle until some 250 metres beyond the fence. At this point the nose dropped suddenly and the aircraft dived into rising ground in a steep nose down attitude. Fire broke out on impact and consumed much of the wreckage. Preliminary investigation revealed that the fuel selector was in the "off" position. This had been the first occasion that the pilot had flown this particular aircraft. The fuel selector in this aircraft was different to that in the other Beaver the pilot had operated. In the previous aircraft, rotating the fuel selector through 180 degrees anti-clockwise changed the selection from the rear to the forward fuel tanks. In the accident aircraft, a similar movement of the selector changed the selection from the rear tank to the "off" position. This difference had not been brought to the pilot's attention, and it was possible that he had not thoroughly familiarised himself with the aircraft prior to commencing operations. It was considered likely that the takeoff had been commenced with the fuel selector positioned to the almost empty rear tank. During the takeoff roll, the fuel low quantity bell and associated light had activated, and the pilot had changed the fuel selector by feel, while continuing with the takeoff. With the fuel supply turned off, the engine had failed from fuel starvation, and the aircraft had subsequently stalled at too low a height above the ground to permit recovery before impact. Investigation Number: 198602365

VH-AAY Cancelled from register 18-May-1987.

Written off