C-FDTZ at Sealand Facilities, Campbell River, BC.
Photo: Marco Dijkshoorn © 08 August 2022 - Aird Archives
C-FDTZ at home base again - CYPD.
Photo: Kenneth I. Swartz © 12 September 2021
C-FDTZ at the tranquil Oshkosh seaplane base.
Photo: Jan Mangelschots © 25 July 2019
C-FDTZ at Parry Sound - CYPD, Ontario.
Photos: Kenneth I. Swartz © 18 July 2019
C-FDTZ at CYYZ devoid of fancy titles.
Photo: Steven Van Seggelen © 02 October 2009
C-FDTZ giving rides and helping celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the DHC-2 at Downsview.
Rear facing seats, unusual configuaration.
Photos: Neil Aird © 24 May 2007
C-FDTZ at Toronto / Pearson this time.
Photos: Steven Van Seggelen © 17 August 2006
C-FDTZ at Muskoka Airport, Ontario.
Photos: Kenneth I. Swartz © 04 June 2006
C-FDTZ coming together at Sealand, Campbell River.
Photo: Brian Greenhalgh © 07 July 2005
C-FDTZ at CYOW - Ottawa, Ontario.
Photo: Neil Aird ©
C-FDTZ on display at Toronto / Pearson - CYYZ.
Photo: Geoff McDonell © 1997 - Aird Archives
C-FDTZ on the expansive ramp at Goose Bay.
Photo: Unknown photographer © slide processed February 1991 - Aird Archives
C-FDTZ in next livery with later format registration.
Photo: Ray Moneta © Circa mid 1970's - Aird Archives
CF-DTZ winter and summer at Toronto - CYYZ.
Photo: Ray Moneta © c. 1965 - Aird Archives
Photo: Sheldon D. Benner © August 1973 - Michael J. Ody Collection
CF-DTZ at Toronto Island Airport dock.
Photo: Ian Macdonald © September 1967
CF-DTZ at Downsview - CYZD, Ontario
Photo: Sheldon D. Benner © 20 March 1965 - Michael J. Ody Collection





• CF-DTZ Government of Canada, Department of Transport, Ottawa, ON. Delivered 31-Mar-1949 Tail Nos. 954 at Toronto and 506. Delivered 31-Mar-1949.

• C-FDTZ Regn format changed prior to Jun-1974. On CCAR for May-1981.

• C-FDTZ Transport Canada, Aircraft Services Directorate, Gloucester, ON. Re-regd 14-Feb-1991 on change of Department name. Canx 08-May-2000

Based Toronto then Moncton, New Brunswick. Noted with tail no 506 28-Jun-1992..

• C-FDTZ Johnsons Construction Ltd., Pasadena, NL. Regd 08-May-2000.

Accident: 52 21N 57 59W. 125km NNW of Mary’s Harbour NL. 10-Jul-2000 (See note below)

• C-FDTZ 1450748 Ontario Ltd., Johnsons Construction Ltd., Mississauga, ON. Operated at Toronto Pearson Airport. Regd 24-Jul-2005. Canx 18-May-2005.

• C-FDTZ North Wind Aviation (2001) Ltd., Goose Bay, NL, Operated at Toronto Pearson. Regd 18-May-2005. Canx 16-Jun-2006. Regd 12-Sep-2006. Canx 13-Oct-2010.

• C-FDTZ 1450748 Ontario Inc., Mississauga, ON. Regd 18-May-2011 18 &19-Jun-2013. Based Toronto, Ontario.

Mods include: Kenmore water fins, amphib. floats, Hartzell three-blade prop, extended cabin with Sealand Alaska Door

Now wearing Near North Aviation titles:



Accident: Location 52 21N 57 59W. 125km NNW of Mary’s Harbour NL. 10-Jul-2000.

The aircraft departed Mary’s Harbour, Labrador at approximately 16:40 ADT on a flight to Clayton’s Pond. Approximately 45 minutes into the flight, the engine quit and the aircraft subsequently crashed. The pilot and front seat passenger were seriously injured while the aft passenger escaped with minor injuries. The following morning all three were rescued by a Canadian Armed Forces helicopter. On the morning of the accident, the pilot and a passenger had refuelled the aircraft from sealed drum containers that had been delivered to the Mary’s Harbour airstrip three weeks prior to the accident. A cloth was used to strain the fuel during the refuelling process of the centre and aft tank, which were filled. No fuel was added to the forward tank as it was already full. The flight to Clayton’s Pond was conducted in VFR conditions at 1,500 feet, although the pilot elected to descend to approximately 1000 feet to remain clear of towering clouds that were noticed along the way. During this time the pilot moved the fuel selector from the aft. Tank position to the centre tank position when five to ten minutes later the engine quit without warning. The fuel selector was then moved to the forward tank position and after some delay the engine was successfully restarted and ran for approximately 10 to 20 seconds before it quit again. The fuel selector was again moved to the centre tank position, however the engine did not restart prior to the aircraft impacting the trees. Prior to his departure from Mary’s Harbour, the pilot had left a flight note and map with several people indicating his return before nightfall. When the aircraft did not return the following morning, the RCMP detachment in Mary’s Harbour were notified . The Halifax RCC had already initiated a search after receiving a strong ELT signal from SARSAT. Rescue was delayed due to the ELT not activating on impact and decision by occupants to not manually activate the ELT to conserve battery power before the following morning as nightfall was near and weather was slowly deteriorating. A short time later RCC was on the scene and transported the occupants to the hospital in St. Anthony. The salvage team that recovered the aircraft had to drain the fuel from the aircraft tanks to facilitate slinging of the fuselage, which was to be transported to a storage facility. While draining the centre tank, maintenance observed a considerable amount of water present. Further inspection revealed varying quantities of water in other areas of the fuel system, including the Carburetor Fuel Strainer, Float bowl , and Wobble Pump fuel lines. CADORS report 2000A0365 & TSB report A00A0103