Beaver Tails master index

 previous  next click on arrows to navigate page by page.

c/n 357

N7023 looking a little "rustic".
Photo: Rich Hulina © June 2014
N7023 enjoying a little snow at FAI
Photo: Fred Wallis © 07 January 2005
Photo: Anthony L. Payne © November 2001
N7023 a few years earlier, same location.
Photos: Neil Aird © September 1995

c/n 357

51-16556 • N4797C

N7023

x

51-16556 USAF #1165. L-20 No: 166. Command AF-1. Delivered 14-Oct-1952. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.

N4797C Civil Air Patrol Inc., Maxwell AFB, AL. Circa. 1960. Operated in Alaska. Actual dates unknown.

Airworthiness cert. 27-Aug-1969

N7023 Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fairbanks, AK. Regd 02-Oct-1969.

Current

USAF History

51-16556 was made available on 02-Sep-1952 and accepted on 04-Sep by the 6600th Air Depot AMO (Air Material Overseas Unit), at Downsview, Ontario after which it was delivered to the Tactical Air Command at Sewart AFB., TN., and attached to the 5th Liaison Squadron on 10-Sep-1952. It was then sent to McLellan AFB of the Air Material Command and the Sacramento Repair and Maintenance Area (SARAR) where it remained for a few weeks between 16-Feb-1953 and 26-Mar-1953 prior to moving to the San Francisco embarkation port.

On 29-Mar-1953 the Beaver was transported to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska possibly by Globemaster II, where it was assigned to the Alaskan Air Command and the 5th Liaison Squadron. Remaining at Elmendorf it passed to the 5039th Maintenance Group on the 13-Apr-1953 remaining until 08-May before returning to the 5th Liaison Squadron. It next moved to Ladd AFB at Fairbanks joining the 5064th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron on 13-May-1954. It stayed at Ladd AFB being passed to the 5001st Operations Squadron on 20-Sep-1954 until 21-Mar-1955 when it moved to the 5001st Maintenance Squadron. Remaining until 26-Oct-1955 it then returned to the Operations Squadron.

There was then a brief return to the 5039th Maintenance Squadron at Elmendorf AFB between 23-Apr-1956 and 09-May-1956 after which it returned to Ladd AFB where it was once again attached to the 5001st Maintenance Squadron until 24-Jul-1956. The next attachment was at Ladd with the 5001st Operations Squadron. This unit was re designated as the 5060th Operations Squadron and the aircraft stayed until 21-Apr-1958. Its next attachment was still at Ladd but now with the 5060th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Group lasting up until 04-Jun-1959 when it transferred to Elmendorf and the 5040th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Group for two months moving back to the 5060th CLM Group at Ladd on 03-Aug-1959.

This was its last USAF attachment as at the end of Apr-1960 it moved to the Civil Air Patrol Inc.